Saturday, March 1, 2014

Why I Love Mark and Estel

Day 1 of New York Fashion Week had been an exhausting feat. It was 8:45 at night, and I was coming down hard from an energy shot. I looked at my schedule expecting another line of fur and cut-outs, and was instead genuinely excited that the closing show was Mark and Estel. I turned to the writer next to me, typing away at an article, and grabbed him by the sleeve. "We need to go to the closing show, it's Mark and Estel," I said. He had not been to their show the previous season, and was unfamiliar with their... unique... brand of entertainment/art fusion. I explained to him that it was not a duo to be missed, and hopefully the following will explain why.

Photo by Mark and Estel (c)
Though I could talk about their style and fashion trends for pages, this is a post dedicated to the two designers behind the brand Mark and Estel. Mark Tango and Estel Day started their line back in 2005 and they have since grown to over 300 retail locations across the US. Huge proponents of the "rocker" look, Mark and Estel are rockers themselves, in the most literal sense of the term. Their band (also aptly named Mark and Estel) was formed simultaneously with their clothing line, creating a bizarre yet oddly charming hybrid. In every M&E show that I've attended they have never disappointed, in both fashion and entertainment. I say this, because at the end of their runway shows, they put on a full-scale performance. Electric guitar, microphone, and all. There is really no way to explain what I mean, other than in video form. See for yourselves why Mark and Estel is one of my favorite shows to go to, and why everyone in the industry who knows of them has such a blast at their presentations. 

No comments:

Post a Comment